The create video function, also referred to the episode function throughout the documentation, found within the videos item of the admin panel navigation creates a video entry within the platform and allows administrators to set the details of the video in preparation for viewing on the end-user interface.
- You should create the course and/or chapter you wish to place the video in before continuing.
- There are different steps that administrators can take to upload the videos, including uploading the video on the next page of this function but that may not be ideal if you are uploading many videos. If you wish to upload videos in bulk or you wish to import the videos (individually or in bulk) from a web address, it is recommended you do that first before continuing.
To create an entry for the video, a few data fields must be filled out first. Below we will list the data fields and describe their functionality.
- Unprocessed Video - If you have previously uploaded or imported the video you wish to use, you may select it from the dropdown list. If you plan to upload the video on the next step, select Upload Video on Next Page. This field is hidden if you have no unprocessed videos to select.
- Parent Course/Chapter - Here you will select the course or chapter you wish to link the video with. This should be created before attempting to add a video, failure to do so will result in the video being an orphan until assigned to a course/chapter.
- Name - A short but descriptive name of the video that will be presented to end-users
- URL Friendly Name - An alpha numeric name, including dashes or underscores (example: my-first-video or my_1st_video), that will be used to link to the video and appear in the URL bar. This is for SEO reasons.
- Order - The order of this video in relation to other videos that are placed in the same course/chapter with a lower value showing first.
- Description - Describe the video in detail here, this will be shown below the video on the episode page for end-users
- Short Description - A shorted description used to describe the video that will be presented when navigating and as the description displayed to search engines.
- Tags - The tags are the keywords used to describe the video. These can used by the search function of the platform and will also be presented to search engines as the keywords.
- Image - The image will be used as a navigation picture and as the background on the image page behind the player. If you choose not to use an image, a random frame from the video will be selected instead. Additionally, a gif will be generated to preview the video when user's hover over the navigation image automatically.
- Video is Visible - Tick to display the video in the navigation and make it accessible. Note that until a video is uploaded, the video will remain hidden regardless of this selection.
- Free To Watch - Tick this box if you wish to make this video available for anyone to watch.
- Watch without Registration - This box is only available if Free to Watch is ticked. Tick this box if you wish anyone (those not registered and logged in) to watch this video
- Enable Pay per View - This option is hidden if Free to Watch is ticked. Enables PPV functionality which charges the audience member a fee to watch the episode. If you have selected to include PPV under the create plan, those subscribed to the plan will not pay. PPV Price and Times Allowed to Watch must be entered if ticked.
- PPV Price - The price to charge those purchasing the PPV option, hidden unless Enable Pay per View is ticked.
- Times Allowed to Watch - The number of times an audience member is allowed to watch when using the PPV option before they need to purchase the episode again to watch again. This option is hidden unless Enable Pay per View is ticked.
- Next Step (button) - Click this button to save your changes, you will then be presented with the Upload Video which is described in the section below. This button shows if you did not select a previously unprocessed video in the first form field.
- Create Video (button) - Click this button to save your changes and finish. Your video will now be processed automatically in the background. This button shows up if you selected a previously unprocessed video that has already been loaded into the platform.
- Upload Captions Next - Saves your changes and brings you to the Upload Captions page outlined following the Upload Video section below. This button shows up if you selected a previously unprocessed video that has already been loaded into the platform.
This section will allow you to upload a single video to the previously create video entry. The following form fields are available on this page:
If you wish to upload a captions file to your video, the file must be in vtt format and comply with the related specification. The following fields are available on the Upload Captions function: